In The Community
RUIDOSO VALLEY CHAMBER OF COMMERCE ANNUAL AWARDS RECEPTION Our Annual Awards Reception will be June 6, 2013 at Inn of the Mountain Gods from 6 to 9 pm. We will be having a Casino Night with table games, lots of food and fun! Tickets are $25 each. Call Mirissa or Deborah at the Chamber to see if your membership level includes free tickets. RSVP at 575-257-7395.
TOWN HALL MEETING WITH CONGRESSMAN PEARCE The Little Bear Forest Reform Coalition is extremely pleased to sponsor a TOWN HALL MEETING WITH CONGRESSMAN PEARCE! The main topic for discussion will be forest health but is not limited to this subject only. Please come listen and share your input. This will be held on Thursday May 30 at The Lodge at Sierra Blanca, 107 Sierra Blanca Drive, Ruidoso starting at 11:30 am. Lunch will be served and to help us properly prepare, please RSVP to Prudential Lynch Realty by calling 575 257-4011. All are welcome and we’ll be looking forward to seeing you there!
MEMBER OF THE MONTH Is there a business that you feel provides excellent customer service and is involved in the community? The Ruidoso Valley Chamber of Commerce has a program where we honor one of our members each month with a Member of the Month Award. This award will be chosen from nominations received each month. Anyone can nominate a business. If you are a customer and want to nominate your favorite business you can do so. You may nominate your own business or another business. The following criteria will be used in picking the Business of the Month: It must be a Chamber Member in good standing; the Member must show community involvement and promote the economic growth and improvement of the area; be locally owned or a locally owned franchise; be a viable business; and have no unresolved or open complaints against the business. At the end of the year during our Annual Banquet, a Member of the Year will be chosen from the Members of the Month and honored. If there is a business you would like to nominate, please contact Deborah Douds at the Chamber of Commerce or stop by the Chamber for a nomination form or contact any Board member. Please help us honor our outstanding businesses. CLICK HERE to download a nomination form.
THE VILLAGE OF RUIDOSO MOVES TO LEVEL II FIRE RESTRICTIONS As of April 25, 2013, the Village of Ruidoso has moved to Level II Fire Restrictions in an effort to prevent situations that could lead to wildfires. Please be vigilant and call 911 if you see any signs of smoke.
Level II Fire Restrictions
* No charcoal briquettes or commercial fire pits are allowed to be used on any public or private property
* UL/FM approved gas grills are allowed
* No outside smoking on public or private property (unless in areas specifically permitted by the Fire
* Smoking allowed within enclosed vehicles or indoors only
* Campfires and fireworks are not to be permitted
* Citations will be issued – NO EXCEPTIONS, NO WARNINGS
If you have questions about the Level II Fire Restrictions, please contact the Ruidoso Fire Department at 575-257-3473.
STAGE II FIRE RESTRICTIONS IN EFFECT FOR THE SMOKEY BEAR RANGER DISTRICT Stage II Fire Restrictions include the following prohibitions:
1. Building, maintaining, attending, or using a fire, campfire, charcoal, coal, wood or stove; Exceptions: The use of petroleum-fueled stoves, lanterns, propane grills, or heating devices is allowed, provided such devices meet the fire underwriter’s specification for safety;
2. Smoking, except within an enclosed vehicle or building;
3. Using an explosive;
4. Possession, discharging, or using any type of firework or pyrotechnic device;
5. Operating a chainsaw, or other equipment powered by an internal combustion engine, is prohibited between the hours of 10 am and 6 pm;
6. Welding or operating acetylene or other torch with open flame;
7. Operating or using any internal or external combustion engine without a spark arresting device properly installed, maintained, and in effective working order.
8. Possessing or using a motor vehicle off National Forest System roads, except when parking in an area devoid of vegetation within 10 feet of the roadway; and except for parking overnight in Forest Service developed campgrounds and trail heads;
9. Violating any state law concerning burning, fires, or which is for the purpose of preventing or restricting the spread of fire.
Forest visitors are reminded to exercise extreme caution and “KNOW BEFORE YOU GO” – to make sure you know if and where fire restrictions are in effect before you venture outdoors. Current information regarding fire restrictions can be found at http://firerestrictions.us/. This link can also be accessed via http://nmfireinfo.com/ and the Lincoln National Forest website www.fs.usda.gov/lincoln.
LODGING AVAILABILITY KIOSK Attention Ruidoso Lodgers! We have recently enhanced the Destination Soft kiosk where visitors can search for available lodging. The kiosk is in the foyer of the Chamber and is open 24 hours a day and 7 days a week. It is a wonderful tool to help visitors that arrive to town without lodging reservations when the Visitor Center is not open. Many of our lodgers are good about keeping this site updated and have used the program for many years. For those of you that have not been using this tool, I think it is important for you to know how valuable Destination Soft can be for both Visitors and Lodging Establishments. We encourage all of our lodgers to be pro-active and use this program. If you need instructions on how to keep your establishment updated, we will be happy to walk you through the process. Just call Deborah or Becky at the Chamber and we can set up a time to meet with you.